Where we live now in northern Florida, it is definitely “The South”, and I’m sharing what I love about the South today. Also, featured here is my friend Lauren Leonard (a local designer), our calm Summer mantel, and more.
It’s Five Faves time with Cindy and Annie.
1. What I Love About The South (From A Native Californian)
If you have followed me for 12+ years on the blog, you know I try to focus on the positive. So let’s not discuss humidity, politics, or hurricanes.
On the positive side, in Jacksonville you will find:
- Friendly people: After a year here, I have finally learned to reflexively say hello to people I pass on the street (as opposed to not making eye contact elsewhere). Everyone smiles and says “hi” or “nice weather for a walk” or some acknowledgment if even just a smile or wave.
- Polite children and adults: If someone doesn’t call me ma’am or open the door for me if they are there first, they probably aren’t from around here. It’s refreshing.
- Delicious food: Ok not to dwell on all the fried stuff (it’s great in moderation…the chicken, green tomatoes, grouper). Here we also have excellent fresh seafood, citrus, strawberries, and of course, sweet Georgia peaches (when in season).
- Weather: Right now the climate is amazing. The summer months won’t be great but we have ocean breezes year-round, air conditioning, and now our new plunge pool for a quick cooldown.
- Joyful Interior Design: The tropical feel here encourages color, pattern, and rattan. As you will see with my next favorite thing/person.
2. Lauren Leonard Interiors
Jacksonville/Atlantic Beach designer, Lauren Leonard and I have been following each other for years. Now that I’m local, we are finally going to meet in person (we have a lunch date next week).
Lauren has a colorful, fresh aesthetic that feels fun to embrace.
You can follow Lauren Leonard on Instagram.
3. Our Summer Mantel
I decided to switch up our mantel for summer (what else is new 🙂 by gathering all the shells and coral I had elsewhere, with white books and the Serena & Lily candlesticks with premium flicker candles.
Free television screensavers are on the YouTube channels that I talked about here. This is a video called “Ultra Relaxing Music To Calm The Mind.”
4. Landon’s Funny Southern Observations On Instagram
For Landon to recognize these clever observations, he has to have spent some time out of the South.
5. What To Wear In The South: Linen And Sandals In Spring And Summer
This is my second linen Faherty dress. The Gemma basketweave linen dress is cool and well-made. It has pockets.
I take it out of the washer and hang it to dry. It’s a size small (I’m 5’1″). The shoes are comfortable…my first pair of Jack Rogers sandals.
Kim should pack this if/when she comes to visit me!
That’s what I love about the South!
Shop The Post:
If you are new here, each Sunday I share my top five favorite things along with my friends, Cindy and Annie. It’s like our weekly “catch-up” phone call. If you would like to receive this series every week, please sign up HERE.
Let’s see what Annie and Cindy’s Five Faves are this week: