When our son, Tommy was here working for four weeks in May, I gave him my office and worked in the dining room. I just looked and looked at my surroundings and wanted a dining room refresh! (Know what I mean?).
A few years ago, I bought a WS Home dining bench on super sale always intending to recover it. And I wanted new updated but comfortable chairs. Tommy took our old dining chairs back with him to Los Angeles so that gave me some motivation to purchase new ones!
After I ordering new chairs (thinking I could wait for a new table), a jug filled with flowers leaked and overnight completely bubbled the veneer on the old table. I hated the look, but fortunately, someone was happy to have it so I gave it to her…and went about shopping for a new table.
If you are tired of looking at the same four walls, here are…
My Dining Room Refresh Tips
Let me know if you have any questions…
- remove the table protective cover if you have one. Life is short…enjoy the finish every day. Use table linens like placemats when in use. Embrace a scratch or two like smile lines. (Old English works well on scratches).
- take a leaf or two to make the table more intimate when you aren’t having a big dinner party.
- mix in a couple of host chairs that are larger and different for an updated look to an all matched set.
- recover your existing dining chairs if they are in a dated fabric.
- use performance fabrics to make cleaning spills easier.
- take down heavy draperies.
- consider an updated light fixture.
- have a pretty fresh centerpiece that you can enjoy every day…like a fern in a soup tureen, or seasonal fruit in a footed bowl
- reframe your art to update it. If you don’t have large pieces of art, assemble smaller pieces in a gallery.
- mirrors look great in dining rooms as they reflect candlelight.
Here is what I did in my dining room that may work for you.
My Dining Room Refresh
I purchased four of these armchairs to use with the dining bench. I’m putting one in the living room when we don’t need it to create more space in the dining room.
The basic linen seats were recovered in Schumacher Sarong Weave performance fabric. I already had the Serena and Lily lumbar pillows which I don’t see on their website in this color blue anymore. But there are other colors on sale here. I like the little suede trim and back zipper.
The WS Home dining bench was recovered in performance fabrics also, the same Schumacher on the seats and ivory (to blend with the caning on the other seats) Crypton linen-like fabric on the back.
Iron X Base Dark Wood Table
Even though we live in a city, the new table is more casual and reflective of the way we live and entertain (hopefully soon) now. You can see I adhere to my tip about mirrors in a dining room. Also, I like some antiques/vintage in the mix like the Trumeau mirror and the French marble-topped bookcase holding dishes.
This Martino X base table was on sale at Pottery Barn and I see it’s no longer available (I just got it a few weeks ago).
Dining Room Gallery Wall
I’ve shown this before…my collection of paintings from the last 20 years or so. The little vintage seascape is new from Etsy.
I’m writing this post from that bench right now.
That’s my dining room refresh! Thanks for coming by!