It’s always fun to have a bit of a theme for a party. Especially for an event like my mom’s 94th birthday in San Diego! I have several friends who have lost their mothers in recent years…so every birthday is a cause to celebrate and show our love.
My sister-in-law suggested a “plaid” theme. I thought that sounds easy! My mom has some Cunningham (my maiden name) tartan plaid fabric that she and my dad got in Ireland years ago. And almost everyone has a plaid shirt, right?
Setting the table with plaid
For a little fun, I put everyone’s name in Gaelic …and let them guess who was who 🙂 My brother, James remembered that as a child, our father always called him Seumas. So he knew where he was sitting right away!
We had this easy, “sort of plaid” Prosciutto Asparagus pizza as an appetizer (recipe to follow).
Here I am with my sister, daughter and the birthday girl…all in plaid, of course. It was a fun celebration with toasts to our wonderful mother and grandmother!
Homemade Prosciutto Asparagus Pizza Recipe
- Preheat the oven at 425 degrees.
- Use one package Trader Joe’s fresh pizza dough. I used a pizza stone sprinkled with cornmeal on the bottom.
- Spread/stretch the dough in a circle and sprinkle on top one cup grated Fontina cheese,
- five or six slices of Prosciutto and
- asparagus spears in a crisscross pattern.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil if desired. Bake for around 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Happy birthday, Mom! We love you!
I’m back in San Francisco now. On the airplane, I finished reading The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell (free on Kindle with Amazon Prime). A few of you recommended it…and I want to say THANK YOU! It was great.
It’s time for some coffee table styling inspiration! We’ve got another Project Design this Thursday with lots of excellent tastemakers to give us great ideas. Be sure to come back!