While staying at home, I’ve been offering 45 Minute Virtual Design Consult appointments (using what you already have). I’ve done several the last few weeks and I thought I’d show you the one for Sue’s living room in Connecticut. To get the best out of our meeting, there has to be some…
- send me about six photos of the space
- take measurements of the room’s walls and openings
- before our virtual meeting, move all the art and accessories to one place for us to “shop”
Then, comes the fun part!
Sue’s Living Room Before
Sue was having a tough time with the long and narrow room. The wall color is nice and she has good furniture. Here were my suggestions:
- in the pie safe/bookcase store some of the Hummel collection so that we could restyle the shelves to update (which we did via Facetime)
- move the chest/buffet down to balance the shelves on the other side of the fireplace
- take the four botanicals and hang them together above the chest (I did a quick sketch to show Sue what I meant)
- raise the curtain rods above the frames and shorten the hems to touch the floor.
- move the matching upholstered chairs so that they are facing the conversation area
- the existing ottoman is too big
- take the little shades off the sconces for a new look (possibly buy small drum shades)
- move the antique table between the windows out to have better flow (sometimes less furniture is better)
- with a glass coffee table, I like to style the bottom shelf, too, to add weight. I made sure we had the last few minutes to do this.
At this point, we used everything that Sue had, including moving a smaller compatible rug in here from another room. But we needed a smaller ottoman so we ordered these to try from the Target McGee and Co. line…
And that’s what you can accomplish with a 45 Minute Virtual Design Consult!
Sue wanted a few more things to finish up so she purchased another 45 minutes and I gave her more recommendations for painting the brick fireplace, window treatments, lighting, art, etc.
It will be fun to bring you an update to this post…including which ottoman we decided on!
I loved getting a message from Sue (after all her hard work) that she and her husband, Gary were so happy and actually sat and had a drink in their living room for the first time!
Come back on Thursday for a self-care post with some of my favorite bloggers… we can all use some pampering!