Welcome back to my weekly Five Things I’m Loving with Cindy and Annie. Are you as tired of the darn virus as I am?! I appreciate all the precautions people are taking and we recently ventured out safely.
Five Things I’m Loving This Week!
1. Howard E. Pickett
Well, this guy is in my top five things I’m loving as we just celebrated 35 years of marriage! I met Howard 37 years ago when I interviewed for a job in L.A. at the advertising agency he was working for. I didn’t take the job but accepted his invitation for a date. He called me Mary Ellen on that first night (which didn’t go over very well) but his manners, southern accent, and masculinity made him hard to forget.
Born in Virginia and raised in Florida, Howard is the son of an eloquent Christian minister and beautiful, gracious mother. I’m sure it wasn’t easy having their son fall in love with a Catholic girl from California.
We married in L.A. and the week after we were both transferred to NYC working on Madison Avenue. Alie and Tommy were born two and five years later. There were lots of career moves…NY, Chicago, Florida, Paris, California. Not always easy, of course. But they made us stronger.
Howard is a marketing mastermind. He sees the brand from a bird’s eye view with many dimensions that most people wouldn’t consider. He is a listener, trustworthy, and esteemed in his industry.
I could go on but let me just say that he laughs at my jokes, cooks for me, takes Chief out after dark, and is my love and solid partner.
And after 35 years, the best is yet to come, Howard.
We took a little local vacation to Napa Valley for two nights. Out of the fog and into sunshine by a pool…
2. Napa Valley
- North Block Hotel is charming. Travel and Leisure awarded it 2020 #1 Resort in California. Chief could come and we socially distanced by the pool. 2. We borrowed bicycles from the hotel to ride through vineyards. 3. The Restoration Hardware Wine Vault garden is a nice place to grab a glass of wine. 4. I always enjoy exploring the Sonoma Country Antiques Store (open by appointment).
For more read Napa Highlights.
While at the RH Wine Vault a fancy hand sanitizer was on every table…I’m thinking that this would look better than all the plastic bottles that I have everywhere.
3. Avocado Toast With A Mexican Twist
I had this for breakfast and liked the presentation with the cucumber and radish slices.
- One Slice hearty country grain bread, toasted and lightly buttered
- One-third to one-half mashed avocado
- Thin slices radish and Persian cucumber
- Sprinkle of queso fresco (or crumbled feta)
- Sprinkle toasted pumpkin seeds (or toasted pine nuts)
- A squeeze of lime and chopped mint (or parsley)
- Sprinkle with Tajin or salt and pepper to taste
4. Book Recommendation
Howard read this book first and thought I would like it…and he was right! “Ordinary Grace” by Willian Krueger
“… It was a time of innocence and hope for a country with a new, young president. But for thirteen-year-old Frank Drum it was a grim summer in which death visited frequently and assumed many forms. Accident. Nature. Suicide. Murder.”
You will understand the meaning of the book title by the time you get to the end.
5. Favorite Recent Home Décor Finds
I am really loving texture and deep colors for the end of summer and early Fall…such as…
Go see what Annie and Cindy have for us…always fun!
Come back on Thursday for a group blog tour of Inspiration Using Grocery Store Flowers. I’m setting our new dining table for a simple summer lunch.
Thanks for being here and take care out there!