Good morning! For my Five Faves, I was able to get my sister-in-law’s recipe for the best jam ever: Rhubarb Blueberry (just before rhubarb season ends). It’s not too sweet, lemony, and good on so many things.
There’s also a great wine stain remover, some basics to buy on sale, and a good new television show that takes you to the coast of Italy.
And be sure to check out what Cindy and Annie have for us, too!
1. Wine Out Stain Remover
While having dinner in a local Italian restaurant…where everything was passed family-style (an accident waiting to happen) one hand bumped into a red wine glass…and whoops!
I’m innocent, I was at the other end of the table but saw it all. The waiter immediately brought this miracle worker… Wine Away.
2. The Best Ever Blueberry Rhubarb Jam
Howard’s sister, Kareen gave us a jar of the best jam ever, Rhubarb Blueberry. Everyone who tries it loves it. I’ve never been crazy about rhubarb but it’s so good in her homemade jam…and it’s lemony.
I served it on top of herbed Boursin cheese with nutty crackers (a HIT!). And I love a teaspoon of it on top of plain Greek yogurt with fresh berries and granola.
It requires fresh rhubarb and it’s near the end of the season, so I wanted to get this recipe out quickly! Here it is (thanks Kareen):
This delicious jam is great on yogurt for breakfast or cream cheese with crackers for an appetizer…and of course, on toast!
- 2-3 stalks rhubarb
- 3 pints blueberries
- 1 apple
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 3-5 cups sugar
Wash and chop rhubarb and apple.
Place in a large stock pot.
Add blueberries and lemon juice.
Bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium.
Cook 15 minutes or until the fruit is soft.
Blend with an immersion blender.
Add sugar and lemon zest. Stir well.
Bring to a boil again.
Cook on low heat, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes )or longer) until very think and almost set,
Ladle into jars.
Store in refrigerator.
You may also like Blueberry Lemon Tart and Simple Table Setting Tips.
3. What To Watch On TV: Hotel Portofino
So far, there are only three episodes of Season One. We are getting it on Amazon Prime. Beautiful scenery.
“The daughter of a wealthy industrialist moves to Italy in the 1920s to set up a quintessentially British hotel in the beautiful town of Portofino as Mussolini’s brand of fascism was on the rise.”
4. Great BASICS To Get On Sale Now From Nordstrom
Some of these are basics like athletic shoes and bras…and some not so much.
- If you need new athletic shoes, these are great (I love my Cloudflow). There are different color combos. Grab them before they are gone.
- I could definitely use a new sports bra and another of my favorite everyday Natori underwire. Might as well get them on sale!
- How much happier would you be making dinner and chopping on this cutting board?
- This cake plate would be pretty next to the stove with cooking condiments…or to elevate bakery goods!
- Every woman should have a French Longchamp bag for travel. Lots of colors and they are expandable.
- These little Volupspa scented candles would be such cute party favors at your next ladies’ lunch.
- You should have a Volcano Blue scented candle for yourself.
- Wouldn’t these little prints look good in a bathroom? I like the frames. Definitely not a necessity like the bras in my case 🙂
5. Small Backyard Pools
We have an irregular small backyard that sort of goes to a sharp point on the right. And the setbacks are a challenge too (10′ from the property line and 5′ from the house foundation). The more we are here, the more we think we would love a pool…to cool off and make a water feature.
We are going to have to be creative…hoping it will look fun and unique and not weird. Here are some ideas…
This is a lovely little pool by Beth Webb in Atlanta Homes and Lifestyle (Beth is actually lounging there and I’ve wondered how she got there without getting wet?)…
Check out my Pinterest Small Backyard Pool Board.
If you are new here, each Sunday I share my top five favorite things along with my friends, Cindy and Annie. It’s like our weekly “catch-up” phone call. If you would like to receive this series every week, please sign up HERE.
Let’s see what Annie and Cindy’s Five Faves are this week: