It seems that in 2020 a lot of us ate and drank more than usual! But now is a good time to get back on track with ways to a healthier you. Lord knows I need it!
So this week, for my Sunday Five Faves I thought I would concentrate on simple, reasonable health tips…what works for me.
Cindy and Annie also have their five favorites and we have a guest. Adorable Sandra from Apart From My Art is also joining us this week with her fave things, too. Their links are at the end of the post.
1. Hot Lemon Water
An oldie but goodie…Hydrating with a cup of hot water with lemon first thing in the morning (before coffee sets the intention for the day) and after dinner is a nice ritual. Studies show it’s a good source of Vitamin C and aids in digestion.
2. Healthy Meal Planning
Cindy Hattersley and I are officially back on Weight Watchers! We both think it’s the best program. I use the basic digital plan. It’s not expensive and it makes you plan and record everything you eat. If you want more support, you can sign up for it.
Cindy and I are going to support each other…do it with us and we will encourage you, too! We can share recipes and progress with each other. Check out Weight Watchers Grocery Shopping List.
If you want, use this link to sign up and we can both get a free month!
3. 10K Steps A Day (With At Least 6K Before Noon)
An average person has a stride length of approximately 2.1 to 2.5 feet. That means that it takes over 2,000 steps to walk one mile and 10,000 steps would be almost 5 miles. A good daily goal is 10k steps.
I find that if I can get the majority of steps done in the morning (say 6k), it’s easier to accomplish 10k by the end of the day…even if it means a brief walk after dinner.
4. At Home Work-out Gear
These are my favorite things to aid with my work-out.
- Tracker: My husband uses a Fitbit to track his workout, heart rate, and sleep. I’ve been really happy with my Apple Watch Series 3 (it’s an older version so you can get it for less $). Tracks your steps and reminds you to stand up and breathe.
- Yoga mat and towel washable and non-slip.
- Hand weights I am just starting to do repetitions again! I have the five pounds weights… a lighter weight but more repetitions. Here is a video for beginners…
- Refillable Insulated Water Tumbler With Lid I keep mine refilled all day long.
- Air Pods for Music or books on tape while walking (I love these! And they are noise cancelling).
- Yoga/Pilates Program on YouTube. I follow The Balanced Life with Robin Long on YouTube.
5. Enjoy Sparkling Water Instead Of Alcoholic Cocktails
Howard and I traditionally start off January “dry” for two or three weeks. Then, I limit a glass or two of wine to the weekends, especially on Weight Watchers. It’s sort of a “detox.”
If you like the flavored sparkling water La Croix, then you will like Kirkland Signature Sparkling Water from Costco. It’s the same zero calories and cheaper. Feels like a treat. I add ice and fruit slices and use a wine goblet.
Those are my five ways to a healthier you! You may also like: 7 Healthy Habits To Feel Happier
Let’s see what Annie, Cindy, and Sandra recommend for us this week!
And come back on Thursday when we will have fresh comfortable clothes for staying home and working out!