Here are some ideas for a fun evening at home…
- Play cards like Gin Rummy. It can get competitive…but we have lots of laughs, too.
The winner takes on the new opponent. We also like the board game Rummikub.
2. Make a nice dinner at home like Howard’s Clams and Mussels in Mustard Wine Sauce.
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1.5 quarts mussels, beards removed, cleaned and scrubbed (but you can't do this in advance!)
- 1.5 quarts manila clams
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan until melted. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook briefly, until wilted. Do not brown.
- Add the mussels and clams, salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme, white wine, and cream. Cover closely and bring to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes, shaking to redistribute. Cook until all the shells are opened.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels and clams to a serving bowl. Keep warm. Continue cooking the sauce for a minute, remove bay leaf and the thyme. Stir in the mustard with a wire whisk while heating. Do not boil.
- Season sauce to taste with salt if necessary, then spoon equal portions of the sauce over the mussels and clams. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with warm, crusty bread.
3. Then, how about making popcorn the old fashioned way…pre-microwave days??? Tastes so much better. We cooked it with roasted walnut oil. Makes your home smell cozy, too.
4. Pick out an old or relatively old movie. Drives me crazy how much our cable bill is and they still charge extra to rent or buy the newer movies! Ocean’s Eleven was free on Netflix.
Enjoy your fun evening at home!!
You may also like… Five Tips for a Casual French Dinner Party